Saturday, July 16, 2011

Fairest Discussion: Final Discussion Questions

So, hopefully you've finished the book (if you haven't you should probably wait to read this post as it will contain a lot of spoilers). I'll start with the general discussion, then go into my own opinion. As usual, use the comments to contribute.

1. What did you like best about the book?

2. What did you dislike most about the book?

3. Did you find Aza to be a relatable character?

4. How did you feel about the way Ijori treated her after he proposed deception? Would you have accepted his apology if you were Aza?

5. What was your impression of Queen Ivi? Do you think that the King did the right thing in the end?

6. What do you think of Illusing? Can you "illuse"?

7. Do you think you would do well at a Composing game, such as the one where Aza first spoke with Ijori?

8. How did you feel about Aza's Happily-Ever-After?


I liked the book in general. It was a quick and easy read for me (and a refresher since I read it back when it first was released). I liked the musical aspect to it; without being overbearing it was made very obvious how important music was the culture of the people in the story. However, it made it really obvious how much Ivi didn't fit in with the culture, and how much she really didn't understand about her new home. I think Ivi was my least favorite character throughout. She was rude, inconsiderate, had no respect for her new family muchless her new subjects. She wanted to turn Ayortha into Kyrria so she wouldn't feel so out of place, regardless of the fact that she was alienating an entire country by doing so. I think the King did the right thing at the end, ensuring that she would never again become the sole ruler of Ayortha. I'm sure there's some story behind their love for one another, but if I'd been him, I probably would have taken a page out of Henry the 8th's book.

I liked Aza for the most part. I think she got a little to down on herself at times --after all, she couldn't have been THAT bad of looking if a prince fell in love with her, right? I found it ironic that she only felt herself when she was with the gnomes, that her looks didn't matter (though they found her ugly too; they only liked her hair after all). Similiarly, I see why Aza forgave Prince Ijori for jumping to conclusions, but I don't think I would have done so myself. Sure, he's a prince and life would be set, but when you can't listen to reason the first time, I don't think there should be the opprotunity for a second.

Unfortunately, I am not an illuser. Mind you, I've never tried, but I'm sure I don't have the patience for that kind of thing. However, Illusing is very similar to something you may have tried or seen: ventriloquism. Some famous ventriloquists include Jeff Dunham, Dan Horn, Edgar Burgen, Jimmy Nelson, and Sherri Lewis (remember Lamb Chop?) There are a lot of resources for you to learn how to do it yourself, which you can look up on MORE. There are also tons of videos on YouTube of ventriloqists and on how to learn to do it yourself.

I also don't think I'd be very good at a composing game, but I'd love to watch one being played!

I like that Aza got a happy ending and that she ulitmately was able to gain some self-esteem and self-acceptance for her looks. I could have done without the epilogue, but I'm just that kind of a reader.

Below, I scoured the internet (...okay, YouTube) for some good ventriloquist videos and there are loads! A lot I've never even heard of! This was one of my favorites, Kevin Johnson who was a finalist on America's Got Talent in 2007. The second video is of Terry Fator, winner of AGT in 2008.





Enjoy and share your comments below.

Samma

No comments:

Post a Comment