Thursday, June 23, 2011

Fairest Discussion: Fairy Tales and Folklore

Even if you haven't started reading yet (truth-be-told, I haven't either...), it's fairly obvious that Fairest is a loosely based fairy tale --compared to Snow White in most cases.

Growing up, I loved fairy tales --still do in fact. I read all of them: the Grimm Brothers, Hans Christian Andersen, British, German, Greek, Japanese...anything I can get my hands on. That includes the picture books, YA novels, graphic novels, manga, and so on. Over time, I've probably worn out three or four large collections of fairy tales, and I'm always picking up the new takes on old stories, like Alex Finn's Beastly, which I just recently finished.

Everyone has read or heard a fairy tale at some point or another, even if you aren't as big a fan of them as I am. What was/is your favorite fairy tale? How do you feel about the new takes on old stories (like Fairest, Ella Enchanted, Beastly, Fables, etc). What's your favorite way to read a fairy tale? A collection, a graphic novel, picture book?

I found a whole slew of Fractured Fairy Tales from the old Rocky and Bullwinkle Cartoons (don't worry if you've never heard of it; I'm sure your parents have!)

 Check out "Leaping Beauty":



Be sure to share in the comments.

Samma

1 comment:

  1. Here's a link to one of my favorites, the 12 Dancing Princesses:

    http://www.authorama.com/grimms-fairy-tales-9.html

    ReplyDelete